Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Hooray for Backup Plans

So this morning started out a little cloudy, and I thought "what a great day to go to the Dinosaur Park!" I've been wanting to take the kids there all summer and finally I found a day when we could go. We had no errands to run, no traveling, housework wasn't pretty caught up, and no one was sick, all perfect conditions for a morning trip to the dino park. This morning I was able to pack a picnic lunch without the kids even noticing. Once we were all dressed and it was close to time to head out I told Devon where we were going. She started bouncing up and down. Then Matthew started bouncing because Devon was.

At around 9:30 we head out to the car, because the park opens at 10:00, why they don't open early in the summer is beyond me. So the car is all packed and I am buckling Matthew when it dawns on me that when I was looking at there website the other night it said they were CLOSED on Wednesdays. I wanted to cry! All that work and good timing gone to waste. Bummer.

So I gently tell Devon that they are closed today and she actually took it very well. I still got in the car and started it. We had packed a picnic and the stroller, by George, we were going somewhere. So the next best thing was Zilker Park, because it's free. We head out and when we get there I see daycare buses. Uhg! Luckily they weren't on the playground and the kids got a good 30 minutes before the daycare kids came over to the playground. After that we walked around Barton Creek, and watched the train pass by about four times. It's a shame I didn't have any cash on me, I could see Matthew was pleading with his eyes to ride it.

After we had all the fun we could, we ate lunch and headed home. We left at 11:30 and we were all sweating. This summer has seemed much more brutal than usual. A few weeks ago I tried to take the kids to a park nearby and even when arriving at 8:30 the equipment was hot to touch. So here is a small replay of the kids time at the park.

Ever since Matthew was about 10 or 11 months old he has always gone down slides backwards on his belly. It's so funny to watch. There was even a tube slide that he tried to wiggle onto backwards, he wasn't able to make it though because it was not flush with the platform.

Here the kids are driving the firetruck together. I somehow managed to get them smiling at each other. They really are some sweet kids.
This one is funny. Matthew looks concerned because I snapped this picture right after the Zilker train had tooted it's horn. He had never seen the train before, but he knew there was something interesting coming.

They stood up on the fire truck to get a good view of the training passing by. I really wish I could have taken them on the train. Next time I'll bring cash for sure. Matthew was pointing at the train.

This is of course my favorite picture. They were building a "pebble castle." That was Devon's term for it. I really am blessed to have some sweet kids. Even though they are four years apart they still play very well together and truly love each other and I think this photo really captures that. Of course they have their spats here and there, but that just helps them grow closer in the long run. Right?




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well at least they had a good time anyway and it was a very good back up plan! :D I also agree about this summer, I feel so bad b/c I don't take Oliver outside as much as I used to but it's just to hot for him I think. Come on FALL!!!!