Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Mexican Pizza

Since Chris is working evenings and I am solo to prepare dinner and watching the kiddos, so dinner has been dumbed down a bit. I know once a week I make pizza with pre-made pizza crust. They are little personal sized crusts, that come in a three pack. I dig them. At least for now until I can make my own again.
But having a small cheese pizza every week has already started getting old, but I love how simple it is and Devon gets to make her own. She only eats half though, but I just put the other two pieces in her lunch for the next day. So it works out well. No wasting food. I decided to try to make a "mexican style" pizza. I love black beans and have been itching to use my cilantro from the back yard, so that's what I did. I played with the idea of using salsa instead of marinara sauce, but then I thought it would drown out the fresh cilantro taste. So wa-la! Here is my idea.

Marinara sauce with black beans, and fresh, yummy cilantro. I'm am totally digging the fact that I can just walk out to the back yard and Wham! here's some yummy cilantro and soon other veggies. It's incredible.

And then I put a mexican four cheese blend on top. It was pretty tasty and Matthew even ate a piece, but his didn't have cilantro on it. The third pizza I made was half black bean and mexican cheese and half mozzarella. Next time I will definitely add more cilantro, man I love that stuff, and maybe diced bell pepper and jalapeno. Very yummy stuff.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum! Fresh herbs are the best, and so much less wasteful than buying that huge handful from the store. I bet that would be awesome with enchilada sauce instead of marinara.

Anonymous said...

cilantro is the best!! i will say it again, i am SUUUUPER jealous of your backyard garden. good for you!! and that pizza looks... mmmmmmmGOOD!

Robert said...

Cilantro is earth's gift to us. Also, you need to send me some of those pizzas they look really good. mmmmmmmmm