Wednesday, December 24, 2008

I Should Stop Being Surprised By Now

Last night while I was giving the kids a bath, Devon was being a little grumpy while I was brushing her hair. So I pulled out the old Santa is watching trick. I don't really use it, but it's close enough to Christmas I thought I would give it a try. Boy did she blow me away.

I told Devon, "You know Santa is watching you to make sure you're being a good girl, because if you're not he won't bring you any presents."

She just looked at me and said, "No Mommy. Only God is with us all the time. Not Santa."

I just looked at her in shock. She had me there. What could I do. So I just smiled and said, "Oh yeah that's right. But God really wants us to be nice doesn't He."

She smiled back and said, "That's right."

I love that children can really get it. Why that changes for so many as we get older I don't know. I wonder if I got it when I was four. It just amazes me that Devon can recall what we are asked to do even during the holidays when the true meaning sometimes gets smothered.

This is inspiring me to maybe start a new tradition this year. I'm thinking of reading the story of Jesus's birth tonight when we gather around the tree, before we open a gift. And we can do it every year on Christmas eve.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is so cute and sounds like a great tradition to start. Merry Christmas to all of you.