Friday, August 1, 2008

Beautiful Messages

So the other day Chris told me something spontaneously cute that Devon had said while I was sleeping in (until 8:15 in the morning!). He said Devon was at the kitchen table eating breakfast when she just said, "God is in everything. But he's not in my cereal." After I finished laughing, because let's face it that's pretty random, even for Devon, I felt like this "message" spoke to me.

I often feel envious of the folks of the new testament times, where Jesus spoke to people (after the resurrection) and even appeared to them. It seemed to happen often and sometimes I wish he would just plop down on the couch and chat with me. But then I look back at what Devon said. She is four and yet is capable of understanding this very simple and incredible truth that God is in everything.

I can't help but wonder that perhaps it is still possible to have such interactions with God as I so long for. The only thing interfering with this wish is life. It is so easy to be consumed by it. Constantly fretting over what needs to be done today, tomorrow, what are we having for dinner, did I take the trash out, where did I put that receipt, I think it's time to get the oil changed......... It just goes on and on. Our minds are overloaded with clutter about clutter. But Devon who is so lucky to be four hasn't been consumed by all that life throws at you. She is capable of being still and keeping a clear mind for receiving beautiful messages.

I can't help but wonder if perhaps God uses our precious little ones to send us messages that we are no longer capable of receiving. I'll tell you this, I felt compelled to simplify my life to be mindful of what is really important during the day. Do I do it all the time now? No way! But, I do what I can and keep trying when I fail. I am constantly feeling like I need to slow down and enjoy the little things, and often I do. When all is quiet I feel the urge to simply live.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that's what is meant by having "faith like a child." What a blessing all the little ones are!

Michelle said...

Oooooo, that's a great point. Why didn't I think of that? :)