Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I Don't Really Like Meat Anyway

So since I have been on this health nut kick I've been making trips to the library and consuming all kinds of info. Everything from recipe books, to books about public school lunches to what's really in the food we buy pre-packaged (which to me is now frightening). Last night I finished a book called Skinny Bitch . I actually found out about the book from the Ellen show. Based on the interview, it seemed that this book was about how to eat more healthy and nutritiously and as a result you will naturally loose weight. This sounded right up my alley. So I checked it out and brought it home.

Now during the interview Ellen asked, "You know I feel that throughout the book you were yelling at us. Was that your intention?" And I loved the reply. They said they did not write the book to make friends, they wrote it to educate people and that was there way of hammering it into our heads.

When I start reading the book, they literally are yelling at you and with explicit tones! At first I got a kick out of it, but then it kind of got old, but I keep on reading because it really was interesting. I get half way through the book and realize there is an ulterior motive here. They are vegans and so of course, they advocate that lifestyle. In order to do this they list stories about how animals are treated before their end of times and it's horrifying! A part of me thinks well, there is no nice way to die, but then again there are much more pleasant ways than what was discussed here.

So in the end, I'm in deep thought about whether or not I feel compelled to engage in the vegetarian lifestyle. I do know I'm not feeling the vegan lifestyle. So we'll see. I have to think about how this will affect the kiddos and of course Chris because he likes to say often, "I like meat." I on the other hand, really don't eat that much meat chicken, ground beef and occasional pork in the form of ham or pork chops. But I'll let you know what the verdict is whenever I come to it.

I remember that I used to call myself a vegetarian in high school, but that was mostly for weight control. And in college I called myself a "bird-ivore" meaning I only ate poultry, no red meat. It wasn't until I was pregnant with Devon that I had those crazy cravings for cheeseburgers. And I gave those "ideals" up. Just thought I would through that in there. :)

No comments: