Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I Heart Mrs. Hygh

So as you may recall from a previous blog, I'm pretty anal about my kids education. Too many kids these days slip through elementary school without a good foundation in the basics which makes the rest of there time in school miserable. So last night when we went to curriculum night, I was waiting to hear what Mrs. Hygh, Devon's teacher, had to say about her classroom. And let me tell, I could not love this woman anymore! She is everything you could want in a teacher.

First off, she used to teach 4th, 5th and 6th grade and during those years she was upset about how most kids didn't have a good foundation in basic skills, meaning she was reteaching them concepts they should already know. It's one thing to need a little refresh after three months of not using your brain during summer vacation, but not being able to read, spell or do math at your designated level is unfortunate. So she moved down to pre-k with a strong passion to get things started the right way.

Many of the materials she uses in her classroom are designed for kindergarten and she even told us that she is teaching them many things that they will learn in kindergarten now, because if they catch on great, if not next year it will be sure to sink in because they've seen it. So that means she is working harder to not only teach them the pre-k curriculum but is stepping it up to give more of a challenge. That's passion and that's why you gotta love her.

She mentioned that last year she had a few kids reading by the end of the year and that's when the falling in love process was complete for me. Now I know I am big on reading and many people may think that I go to far sometimes, but I just thought that was incredible. Now I've got to try my best not to push Devon too hard, because I don't want to push her away from it (even though that's hardly possible since she has been called "book girl" in church since she was two!). I tell myself that she will read when she's ready, but I am totally ready for whenever that happens. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

No comments: