Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I'm Bringing Bulky Back

Shortly before we moved to Austin I discovered an awesome place that is pretty well known to most, Central Market. And when we moved here I was so excited that there was one pretty close to our apartment complex. Then I found a second one downtown! It was heaven. Then I looked at the prices and got less excited. Regardless, they have some awesome food! And I love even to just "window shop" (it's odd to call it that when I'm talking about a grocery store).

Recently a friend mentioned that she buys her spices in bulk. And silly me pictured her buying a five pound bag of paprika. Then I found out that she meant from bulk containers. So I went to Central Market to check out their bulk bins. Wow came to mind pretty quick. You can get dried fruit, grains, spices, coffee, sweets, cereals, beans, nuts, sugar, and a whole lot more. Most of this stuff even has an organic option that is only a tad bit more in price, and I do mean like a few cents.

So with some birthday money I recently received, I went to town. Don't give me that look. I can spend my birthday money on whatever I want. *sticking tongue out*

I came home with


some organic rolled oats (for making muffins, cookies and oatmeal pancakes mmmmm) I've already used half of it. :)



a salt and kosher salt,

organic pinto beans,
granulated fructose (which is sugar that is processed less than regular sugar)


and a few spices that I racked my brain to remember the most recent recipes I had jotted down to know what to get.

It was very fun. I can't wait to go again!











1 comment:

Robert said...

you went and joined the hippie crowd. boo central market.