Monday, October 27, 2008

A Contemporary Samaritan

Saturday Devon's school had a Fall Festival where each grade had a game booth set up and the kids could play the games for 50 cents. Devon had a blast and even saw a few of her friends there.

Well when it was time to go Matthew was pretty pooped and fussy. So I put him in the car and he got even more mad, because he is not a big fan of the car seat. This made me flustered, so I was trying to start the car to cool it off, then I tossed the stroller in the back and hoped in the car to leave. Luckily it is only a 5 minute drive from the school to home.

We get home and I'm excited because I get to get fussy Matthew out, but then a horrible realization came to me. I had left my purse on top of my car and left it there because I was in such a hurry to hop in the car and get home. So of course it didn't make it back home with us.

So we turn around to go back to the school and it is not on the ground where we had parked. So I went inside to ask if anyone had turned in a purse. Nope. So we drive the same route we took looking for my purse on the side of the road. Nothing.

Let me tell you, I felt so lousy and horrified. I couldn't believe I did such a bone head thing like driving with my purse on top of the car. So I call the bank and they canceled my debit and credit cards, so no one can get a free ride on our money.

Then I went to the police station and filled a report. Luckily it was an officer I knew from the Neighborhood Watch, and he was telling me how someone took his wallet from his house when he had a party and spent $3,000 in four hours. Yikes!!! It made me feel a little better that I wasn't in that boat. But when I told him my drivers licence and social security card was in there he just looked at me. Uh oh. Apparently I just handed someone all they needed to steal my identity to get a credit card, buy a car or even a house!! This really made me miserable. But luckily my parents were there to help me feel better and Chris did an awesome job cheering me up, while picking on me too.

I tried not to let it ruin my weekend. Sunday after church we went to our churches fall festival on the capital grounds. While we were sitting there enjoying some barbecue Chris gets a phone call from Reel Flix, the movie rental store in Manor. Apparently, someone called the store because they found the membership card in my wallet, which was in my purse on the side of Highway 290.

That's right!! A sweet old lady saw me turn onto 290 with my purse on my car and watched it fall on the ground. She turned around and picked it up. The reason it took until Sunday afternoon to find me was because she couldn't figure out a way to contact me, until she thought to call Reel Flix.

Isn't that awesome that there are still honest people out there. Hooray for contemporary good samaritans!!!!!

No comments: