Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"Cake or Death!"

Haha. It's always good to start a blog with an Eddie Izzard quote!
Well, the last three years I have been wanting to make Devon's birthday cake myself, instead of buying the heavily sugared and not so creative ones from the store. But obviously that never happened for various reasons. So I began looking at cake websites online a few days ago to get some ideas when I came across a dinosaur cake! It gets even better though. I actually didn't look difficult to replicate.

Tuesday night we had a Neighborhood Watch meeting and I used that as an excuse to make a cake and practice creating a dinosaur. Of course I just bought a box of Betty Crocker mix, my main objective was to shape a cake. And here's what I created.


I know. It looks more like a turtle than a dinosaur, but I did learn a lot from this experience. First, when you try to frost the inner part of cake it crumbles, which is incredibly irritating. Second, once you frost the head of the dinosaur it is too heavy to stand up. More irritation. Third, it's definitely going to need some candy decorations to look like a dinosaur and not a turtle. Some spikes to transform it into a stegosaurus should work well.

I am definitely going to try this out one more time before his birthday. Now I need to figure out what to make Devon. I saw a very cute way to make the very hungry caterpillar using a couple of cut up bunt cakes, but I'm still open to ideas. If I can figure out how to make a Magic Treehouse cake that would be AWESOME!! Since that is more than likely going to be her birthday theme.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I made a pirate cake one time, and I used straws to help the whole thing hold together. That might help your heavy head problem.

It's really cute - will look awesome with candy on it!

Anonymous said...

Aw, I think it's cute. :)