Thursday, November 20, 2008

Get Ready!

Well, when Devon first started school I wrote an ode to Mrs. Hygh her teacher. And let me tell you she has lived up to expectations!

Devon got her second report card and is doing excellent. She has improved on her two N's (needs improvement) from the first six weeks. She is also proficient in over half of the curriculum now. But that is not the good news. The good news is that she is ready to start reading!!!!!!!!!! I was so excited to see that little note from her teacher. I've been waiting for this for so long. I tried working with her this summer, but she wasn't into it so I put it aside because I wanted to wait until she was ready. So now I have the green light!

Last night I let her pick a book and asked her of she wanted to help me read it. She looked a little confused but still said yes. I told her to look for the words "I" and "A" and to help me read them. She jumped right on that like a dog on a bone. It was so fun.

I'm going to try adding a new word every other day for her to "help me read" and just go at her pace. As much as I've been longing for this, I don't want to make it feel like a chore. It's just another way for us to have something special to do together and I'm so happy it's finally time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw, yay! That is exciting, i'm glad she is doing so well. She is getting so big before you know it she will be reading you a book.