Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Bi-Yearly Illness

Well, this weekend I was sick as a dog. I haven't been sick for just about two years, so I suppose in the grand scheme of things that's not too bad. I was pretty miserable though. And as Chris loves to remind me when I'm sick, "Misery loves company, but you're driving me crazy so go to your room!" Yeah I was quarantined to my room so I wouldn't spread the disease.

It started Thursday of last week. I had a bit of a sore throat, but nothing horrendous, little did I know that was just the beginning. Friday, it's much worse. So I try to be proactive and go to the doctor to get some meds early before this gets too serious. However, there is no help with the medical profession, because it's a virus and there's not a damn thing I can do about it. Grrrrrrr.

Friday night I try my darnedest to suck it up, so I don't spoil Halloween. Devon and Matthew get all cuted up but I stayed in my pajama's. Chris took Devon trick or treating in our neighborhood and Matthew kept me company at the front door to pass out candy, which I had never done before. As the night grew later, I started getting worse and worse. To the point where I specifically remember telling Chris, with tears in my eyes, "I don't want to be sick anymore."

I don't know what happened, but my body was literally body slammed by the virus. I was sweating, then shivering, and I could feel my throat swelling up. My body felt like it was bruised on the inside, it hurt so much. Misery.

Saturday, the body aches were considerably better, but all the other symptoms were there. Sunday my main problem was my throat and the same goes for Monday. The whole weekend just flew by and I kept getting confused as to what day it was. Chris was a real trooper taking care of the kids, you know keeping them happy and bringing Matthew to me when he was hungry.

I don't remember a lot, but here are a few random memories that did stick.
  • Chris baked a cake.
  • Matthew came tapping at the bedroom door all by himself. (ADORABLE!!)
  • I watched some episodes of Dexter.
  • I slammed down some serious OJ.
  • Oh yeah, and looking at my throat in the mirror with a flashlight.

Five days later, my throat still hurts. It hurts to talk, eat, and drink, even to swallow my own saliva. But I don't feel nearly as bad as I did, so there's the good news.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm sorry but am glad you are feeling better.